Friday, September 14, 2012

Back Once More!

Good evening to everyone out there!  Once again, It has been WAY too long since my last post.  A lot has happened in between here and there, and I will try to let you into my head for the next few minutes. 

Just a little side note before I begin.  Some of you reading my post will thing to yourselves, 'Max, these posts don't really read like a blog, they sound more like a letter to a friend.'  I say to that, yes, they do sound like that I suppose.  I could come out that way because, while I am writing these, in my head and in my heart I feel that you all are truly my friends.  Very good friends, in fact.  And that is what friends do, they share what is on their mind and in their hearts.  Also it could be that I have never actually read a real blog, but I digress.  

In July of this year I left the Over-The-Road life for a combination of some health problems, and a "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.  I moved to Phoenix, AZ to work a local job and finally be home every night.  I applied over at Albertson's as  a local delivery driver to deliver at their stores.  As most of you may know, I suffer from gout, and occasionally have flare ups.  Well, as luck may have it, a week into my employment, I developed a particularly severe flare up in my right ankle, which subsequently, along with some other factors, ended my short employment with Albertsons.  My manager over here at Knight was very understanding and helpful in bringing back on full time with the company.  I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this company.

I currently drive for the Refrigerated Division of the company, and enjoy the work.  Lately I have been slowly putting the puzzle pieces of this great conundrum together.  Let me elaborate a bit.  In a few earlier posts you may recall that I thought that I may have had some doubts about pushing a truck down the road.  There are a couple factors that I have been looking at in rethinking my position on that topic.  On my hiatus from the long haul, I slowly realized I was missing the routine that I had hated so much in the past.  I missed the long moments with nothing on the horizon except a Kentucky sunset, and my thoughts bouncing around in the cab of the truck.  That may sound like pure hell to some of you, however a long distance trip with nothing but the radio and the hum of the engine was, unbeknownst to me, the greatest thing in the world at that time.

Factor two, came into play at the very beginning of my career when I decided to commit my education to this way of life.  (notice I didn't say job.  We'll get into that in a later post)  I'm not a well educated man.  Let's be honest, I didn't graduate high school, and pretty much everything I have learned is through radio programs, audio books, regular books, and some pretty damn good mentors along the way.  This is all I know how to do, and feel that I am pretty well committed at this point, rather than give it all up and start all over again with a new career in college.

Now, I'm not saying that I will be driving long haul all of my life.  It's likely, but not guaranteed.  IF I were to find "the right one", I would go back to driving local and being home every night.

There is quiet a bit more life changing events that have happened since the last time that we talked, but, as I look at the clock smoking as it's hands are spinning around on the screw, I must leave you for now, and will return soon.  I have much more I would like to share with you.    


I love each and every one of you.  I wish only the best, and that God may bless each and every one of you.  Please please please, be safe out there on the highways and bi-ways,  and please be especially cautious around semi trucks and buses.  That is all for now.  I will talk to you all very soon.


--Max

No comments:

Post a Comment