Saturday, October 2, 2010

New Month New Runs.


Well Ladies and Gentlemen, It has been about a month since my last post. As you can imagine, my life has been hectic trying to make up lost time from the down time of last month. My truck seems to be running good, and it shows, or should I say, my odometer shows it. At the end of September, I ran 11,250 miles.

Also, at the end of September I received a load that I really couldn't turn down. I had just emptied out over at the Port of Los Angeles, and was called upon to pick a load out of Santa Clarita going to Greencastle, IN. The farthest east I had been at this point was Chicago, IL and was, of course, very excited. I was then informed that, if I trek east, it may be a couple of weeks before I would be able to get a load going back west. At this point, I really didn't care. I was up for that adventure.

I delivered my load on time, and was later dispatched to Memphis, TN, and then up to Minneapolis, MN, where I currently sit with a load bound for small town, WI, with a final drop just a bit west of Chicago, IL. (I say small town, WI only for the reason that I can not recall the name of the town at this time.)

I must say, that I am quiet proud of handling my anxiety out here. It has been low level so far. However, I do miss my mountains, and must say that I could not live out here.

If I could get a little personal for a bit, I should say that as I drive through Wisconsin and Minnesota, the changing colors of the trees up here are about at their peak for the season, and it brings to mind how much beauty there is around. I feel a bit guilty for traveling around the country this summer and not taking it all in. I have driven over some of the country's most splendid summits and peaks, with their beautiful pine trees and towering sheer cliffs, and rolled through the sweltering deserts, with their tall cacti, and red rock plateaus, and yet, as I sit here tonight and try to recall the sights, and realize, that there has not been one moment that I have pulled over, and stopped to appreciate this great land. I feel guilty for taking this all as "a given" and just another part of my job. I do believe that I have been given a gift with this job. A gift that most people will never receive in their lifetime; to see the greatest country on earth first hand, and meet the people that make it so great.

In closing tonight, I would like to make a quick mention of two very talented individuals, by the names of, Katherine and Jonas, of the band, Sons of Hippies. I met these folks at a truck stop in a suburb of Indianapolis. They play a mix of psychedelic and punk music. If you would like to check them out, their website is as follows: http://www.sonsofhippies.net Tour dates are posted on the site, as well as some great music!

Thank you to all of my faithful followers, and I hope to be talking to you again soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment